Re: GNOME-2 transition: necessary?

<quote who="Steve M. Robbins">

> Personally, I'm not convinced that Gnome2 should ever supplant Gnome1.

?!

> Switching from G1 to G2 is, by all accounts, a disruptive one.

Right now, yes.

> Moreover, it may require more hardware.

Have you read the release notes, or otherwise researched this? GNOME 2, by
and large requires LESS powerful hardware.

> Thus, I can imagine that some administrators would prefer that their Gnome
> systems NOT get automatically upgraded.

Right now, yes. But for woody+1? Almost certainly not. They'd prefer the
system to suck up the new stuff that everyone else is using.

> In short, I am arguing that Gnome 1 and Gnome 2 should both remain in
> Debian indefinitely.

That'd be really useful if G1 was going to be maintained and supported
indefinitely, but because no one wants to do-- oh wait, do you want to do
it? :-)

- Jeff

--
   You know the end is nigh when modern art is relegated to the status of
                                  "meme".