Re: Interest in packaging for Debian

On 3/7/23 13:33, Shengjing Zhu wrote:
On Tue, Mar 7, 2023 at 3:45 PM Nilesh Patra <nilesh@debian.org> wrote:
While it always makes sense to de-vendor and package and package the dependency, there is no rule/policy that dis-allows vendoring modules as long
as the copyrights are correct. Infact a bunch of packages actually do vendor modules.

Not really. Vendoring is not hardly forbidden. But you may be rejected
by ftp-master by vendoring a bunch of libraries.

Thus far, I have never seen that happening.

You may carry one or two convenient copies of vendor libraries, but
it's not good to advertise such for newcomers, which is not good
practice after all.

I obviously meant to vendor sensibly, and not go about vendoring more stuff even
if it isn't correct. I am not advertising it to new comers either.
Anyway, Mark comes from Fedora, I think we share the same packaging
policy (name convention, vendor, etc).

Ack.

Thanks,