Re: Interest in packaging for Debian

Hi Mark,

Le 04/03/2023 à 11:06, Rock Storm a écrit :
Hi Mark

On Fri, 2023-03-03 at 17:35 +0200, Mark E. Fuller wrote:
Any guidance on how to get started with submitting a deb package for
review and inclusion is appreciated, as this is the part that is
unclearest to me at present (is it really just as simple as
https://people.debian.org/~stapelberg/2015/07/27/dh-make-golang.html
?).

On how to submit for review, it is a simple as uploading it to Salsa
and announcing it in here that it is good for review.

And yes, in terms of packaging, if you are lucky the `dh-make-golang`
tool will do a lot of packaging work for you. Keep in mind it is not
100% perfect and the package might still need some tweaking in
addition to filling in the gaps.

Thanks for considering helping out in Debian!

As Rock said before, that's pretty much it in simple cases for Go packages. What can be tricky is hunting the vendored modules which aren't allowed in Debian (so you need to package them, or find out if they're not already packaged under another name, etc). But that's more a Go ecosystem thing than a Debian one ;)

Since you're new to Debian Padkaging, you should also have a look at at least - the developer reference: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/
- Debian New Maintainer's guide:
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/
- the Go team web page: https://go-team.pages.debian.net/

On the later, especially https://go-team.pages.debian.net/workflow-changes.html which gives the (current) expected way of handling repositories in the team.

It may look like a lot of information, but don't worry, the tooling (in Debian and Golang) takes care of a lot of it for you.

Until you're actually in the team, you can work in your own namespace on salsa, submit merge requests, and create new repos there. We can move the repository in the Go-Team namespace afterwards.

(I can't accept you now, sorry, I'd need my token which I don't have with me atm… Hopefyully someone else will ;) ).

--
nodens