Re: Interest in packaging for Debian

On Tue, Mar 7, 2023 at 3:45 PM Nilesh Patra <nilesh@debian.org> wrote:

> On 3/4/23 20:45, Clément Hermann wrote:
> > Le 04/03/2023 à 11:06, Rock Storm a écrit :
> >> [...]
> >> And yes, in terms of packaging, if you are lucky the `dh-make-golang`
> >> tool will do a lot of packaging work for you. Keep in mind it is not
> >> 100% perfect and the package might still need some tweaking in
> >> addition to filling in the gaps.
> >
> > Thanks for considering helping out in Debian!
> >
> > As Rock said before, that's pretty much it in simple cases for Go packages. What can be tricky is hunting the vendored modules which aren't allowed in Debian > (so you need to package them, or find out if they're not already packaged under another name, etc). But that's more a Go ecosystem thing than a Debian one ;)
>
> While it always makes sense to de-vendor and package and package the dependency, there is no rule/policy that dis-allows vendoring modules as long
> as the copyrights are correct. Infact a bunch of packages actually do vendor modules.

Not really. Vendoring is not hardly forbidden. But you may be rejected
by ftp-master by vendoring a bunch of libraries.
You may carry one or two convenient copies of vendor libraries, but
it's not good to advertise such for newcomers, which is not good
practice after all.

Anyway, Mark comes from Fedora, I think we share the same packaging
policy (name convention, vendor, etc).

--
Shengjing Zhu