Re: Fwd: [Orfeo Toolbox (OTB) 0000981]: Please add licences

Hi Sebastien,

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 06:12:54PM +0100, Sebastien Dinot wrote:
> Le 28/10/2014 17:00, Johan Van de Wauw a écrit :
> > You don't have to use the machine readable format, but all licenses
> > must be discussed. If eg boost is present under Utilities/BGL you
> > should add the boost license.
>
> That's right but I have just realized the (partial) misunderstanding.
>
> Andreas has created a new copyright file:

:-)
That's what I usually do on packages I work on - specifically I did
this in the packaging workshop at LSM to give a proper example.

> And, in the OTB source archive, all the copyright notices are provided
> in a dedicated directory:
>
> http://hg.orfeo-toolbox.org/OTB/file/tip/Copyright
>
> But I am aware that this manner to proceed could be improved, for
> example, by providing the full text of the Boost Software License.
>
> > Reading through debian/rules I see: USE_EXTERNAL_BOOST,
> > USE_EXTERNAL_GDAL, USE_EXTERNAL_OSSIM, USE_EXTERNAL_EXPAT Those could
> > already be removed.
>
> That's right in relation to Debian or Ubuntu but wrong in relation to
> other platforms (CentOS, MS-Windows, MacOSX).

To clarify this:  Johan exatly means to strip down the source tarball
*for* the Debian (Ubuntu) release not in general.  If you add a

   Files-Excluded:

field to Debian copyright uscan will strip unneeded files from the
original upstream source.  The Debian orig.tar.gz will than differ from
the main upstream tarball (which contains the files for other OSes for
sure.)  We usually mark this by a suffix +dfsg to the version number.

> For now, we could write a short shell script removing from the OTB
> archive these useless sources in the Debian package context.

This is what Johan means:  There is no need to write a shell script.
The Files-Excluded field in debian/copyright serves on one hand as
documentation what was excluded and on the other hand as data which is
read by uscan to do a proper job without any extra work.  Since examples
are more instructive than words I just added two examples of directories
to be removed (please verify that this is correct).

You can add more directories as a blank (newline) separated list.

Hope this helps

      Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de