Re: Fwd: [Orfeo Toolbox (OTB) 0000981]: Please add licences

Le 28/10/2014 17:00, Johan Van de Wauw a écrit :
You don't have to use the machine readable format, but all licenses must be discussed. If eg boost is present under Utilities/BGL you should add the boost license.

That's right but I have just realized the (partial) misunderstanding.

Andreas has created a new copyright file:

http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-grass/otb.git/tree/debian/copyright

But the copyright file I wrote few years ago for Ubuntu was quite different:

http://hg.orfeo-toolbox.org/OTB-DevUtils/file/tip/Packaging/ubuntu/OTB/debian.4/copyright

And, in the OTB source archive, all the copyright notices are provided in a dedicated directory:

http://hg.orfeo-toolbox.org/OTB/file/tip/Copyright

But I am aware that this manner to proceed could be improved, for example, by providing the full text of the Boost Software License.

Reading through debian/rules I see: USE_EXTERNAL_BOOST, USE_EXTERNAL_GDAL, USE_EXTERNAL_OSSIM, USE_EXTERNAL_EXPAT Those could already be removed.

That's right in relation to Debian or Ubuntu but wrong in relation to other platforms (CentOS, MS-Windows, MacOSX). So, for convenience, we embed these third party components for the moment. Their source code is included in the OTB source tree and, consequently, their source code is included in the archive extracted from our repository (using "hg archive" command).

In the next months, we will switch over to the "Superbuild" strategy permitted by the CMake "ExternalProject" feature. Then, we can remove the third party components from OTB source.

For now, we could write a short shell script removing from the OTB archive these useless sources in the Debian package context.

Sébastien

--
Sébastien Dinot
Expert logiciel libre