Re: nochmals wegen der CD / DVD zum LT

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 10:22:12PM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
> * Sven Hoexter [Fri, Jan 24 2003, 09:50:56PM]:
> > > Why? For the compression utility? In the last version (in Sid), there is
> > > a more efficient tool that does not need to keep the whole image in the
> > > memory while compressing it.
> > I thought that you have to write the whole iso somewhere bevor you can burn it
> > but Grisu said something about doing this with pipes. I will look into this
> > topic when I did my first steps with the debian-cd stuff - in one or two
> > weeks I think ;)
>
> Actually, it depends on what you mean. You have two ISO images while
> mastering KNOPPIX. One is written from the native Debian filesystem and
> can be compressed on the fly. The result is the big KNOPPIX file that
> takes 99% of the KNOPPIX-CD. Then you need another mkisofs to create the
> Knoppix-CD-ISO, together with the boot-floppy, docs, demo files, etc.
> The problem is: this external mkisofs run needs to know about the file
> sizes. You cannot fool it with a pipe getting data from the process
> compressing the internal KNOPPIX volume.
>
> I can imagine a way to work around this problem, using multiple
> sessions. The problems:
>
> a) It is not known wheter all BIOS types will boot from multisessions CDs
> b) Knoppix' boot image needs modifications to load the KNOPPIX volume from
>    a hidden session
> c) Klaus' CD mastering scripts need some changes

We need this all, only if we make some Knoppix like system...

for the record _I_ said this:
  If we make a DVD, on this DVD will be the normal 'KNOPPIX' directory with
  the normal big KNOPPIX file. From this DVD you can burn a normal
  Knoppix-CD with a mkiso and a cdrecord on the fly with a normal pipe.

If you like to make a remastered Knoppix, you need space (>1GB) and you can't
use the pipe...

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
"Unix ist ein Konzept! Windows hat garkeins (oder wo sind die Gemeinsamkeiten