Re: Is emsandbox useful anymore?

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:01:31 +0100
Marco Hoefle <marco.hoefle@nanotronic.ch> wrote:

> I created a working rootfs for arm crush. However, I needed an option to
> have a root file system (a JFFS2 image) with our software as well which
> can be installed directly on the target without any modifications.
> (The image is downloaded and installed via uboot)

I had in mind that multistrap would need to be tested with Crush for
this kind of purpose.

> This list (here for speedo) contains packages like:
>
> muxd_0.0.1-1em1_arm.deb
> iolib_0.0.1-1em1_arm.deb
> .
> .
> .
> speedoeminint_0.0.1-1em1_all.deb
>
> The interesting part here is that speedoeminit has the /etc/fstab,
> etc/inittab stuff.

These would need to be in a local repository so that multistrap can
locate them.

> Now a script prepares a filesystem for qemu-system-arm and qemu installs
> the packages from the package list. The qemu filesystem is then
> converted to a JFFS2 image.

That would also work with multistrap.

> The whole procedure is not nice...

Hopefully multistrap could make that into less total stages.

> What would be good is to have an option for a package list containing
> all the desired packages in the emdebian tools (I think emsandbox has no
> option to say which packages are necessary and which are not).

(It does but it's hard to do and hard to get right.)

> This
> script should create a tar image which contains a working root
> filesystem.

multistrap doesn't yet actually tar up the filesystem. I will also be
investigating making the total package list smaller with multistrap.
Very small lists might be tricky.

> sysvinit owns /etc/inittab and speedoeminit modifies this file (with a
> post install script). When a new version of inittab is installed dpkg
> normally asks if the modified version should be kept?
>
> In my eyes a new feature in emsandbox would be nice: A package list
> feature.

It has one - except that it is to extend the list and I think you
probably want to shrink it.

> If someone has a more elegant way for me to achieve the task above
> please let me know.

It will be part of my tests before emsandbox is finally retired.

To make sure I don't forget, feel free to file bugs against multistrap
for things like a reduced package selection, creating the tarball and
tested Crush support - one bug report per feature please.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/