Re: Is emsandbox useful anymore?

Hi Neil,

2010/3/17 Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org>:
>> Anyway I might be missing some bits, but I wanted to suggest about
>> empbuilder, it makes no sense to me, but an option on Debian's
>> pbuilder & sbuilder & friends (-a $arch) makes more sense if not
>> already there.
>
> If I could have done that I wouldn't have needed to write empdebuild.

By that time we did not have the support we have in Debian nowadays. I
still believe this feature is nice to have and way to go.

> empdebuild does several things on top of normal pbuilder code:
>
> 1. installs cross-building toolchains for the requested arch
> 2. installs emdebian-tools inside the chroot
> (these first two steps can now be done by multistrap)

Not an issue anymore, also think in an hipotetical Debian cross
toolchains from Debian archive.

> 3. runs emdebuild inside the chroot instead of debuild, including
> emdebuild --build-deps which relies on apt-cross and xcontrol files.

I was more thinking on a further step 'debuild -a $arch' with
apt-ma-emu (always within Debian framework). More than thinking on a
working solution, think on a 'future' working solution and start
getting support by tools.

>> > The function 'check my cross-toolchain is installed and works' is a
>> > useful one.
>
> That function needs a rewrite - it relies on apt-cross cache data which
> is usually flawed. The purpose is good, the code needs work.
>
>> > emsetup could perhaps be kept for this purpose? I've had
>> > to explain to someone only this week how to check that. Having
>> > 'build-cross-essential' is probably helpful here too.
>
> That would be the purpose of the rewritten emsetup, yes. Maybe even a
> quick test that the toolchain actually works.

OK, I leave it up to you, I shall also work on remote dejagnu tests
for the compilers but that's a different issue.

--
 Héctor Orón