Re: More on the future LDAP admin gui in Debian Edu

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 02:45:46PM +0200, Klaus Knopper wrote:
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 02:19:40PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
Jonas has packages CipUX (most parts) for Debian, they are in unstable, so they are actually more "squeeze" than "Lenny" and therefore not working too well with the current stable Skolelinux version.

But he also creates packages for Skolelinux/Lenny occasionally, just probably not following the precedure Jürgen and Philipp mentioned. Jonas, are you there and can comment on this?

I do official packages for Debian, which thereby automatically becomes available in future official releases of Skolelinux too.

I do unofficial packages targeted already released Debian too, which do not automatically becomes available for install as part of current or future Skolelinux releases. In principle, with some manual work from some volunteer, my unofficial packages could be made available in Skolelinux releases.

I believe none of above contradicts with Skolelinux contribution documentation, although some of it might not be clearly documented.

I believe packaging work is not the main issue in this thread, however: Far more than packaging, CipUX needs *integration* with Skolelinux!

BTW, now that I have your attention: do you know why cipux-cat-weasel hasnt been packaged yet?

Actually, we have an "unofficial" package on rp.skolelinux.de, but since it build-depends on stuff not packaged in Debian yet, it's complicated. Also, there are still a few problems with preconfiguration so that it starts out-of-the-box on Skolelinux, which need to be adressed. Martin wrote about that. Want to help? :-)

Great that the RLP project has packaged CATweasel for their own use.

I am pretty sure, however, that Holger did not simply mean "packaged" but more specifically "packaged officially for Debian", since he just pointed out how the proper way for code to reach Skolelinux is via Debian.

Now, you are both talking about *packaging* here. What [CipUX] lack the most is not packaging, however, but *integration* with Skolelinux.

Skolelinux integration is done mostly in the packages debian-edu-config and debian-edu-install.

Someone needs to volunteer to help work on those packages to refine the setup of official Debian CipUX packages, to work with Skolelinux.

 - Jonas

[CipUX]: Although CATweasel is considered crucial to the RLP project, the CipUX project itself does not: CipUX CAT Web exists too. Skolelinux prioritizes the use of only official Debian packages, which affects the judgement of those two competitive CipUX frontends.