Re: More on the future LDAP admin gui in Debian Edu

Hello Holger,

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 02:19:40PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi Klaus,
>
> reading your mails, I'm not sure you are aware that Debian Edu / Skolelinux
> _is_ Debian? If you want to have cipux on Debian Edu, just run "apt-get
> install cipux". Voila.

Sounds nice, and I believed that by myself a while ago, until reality
proved me wrong. ;-)

Debian and Skolelinux differ a lot in their preconfiguration and
especially LDAP. So, we do need packages that are specific to Skolelinux
once it concerns user and system administration via LDAP.

> Debian squeeze consists of 14726 source package, Debian Edu squeeze consist of
> the same 14723 sources packages, plus 3 which are in different state atm. I
> still hope to finally reach our goal having this match 100% for the squeeze
> release or maybe a squeeze pointrelease.

Jonas has packages CipUX (most parts) for Debian, they are in unstable,
so they are actually more "squeeze" than "Lenny" and therefore not
working too well with the current stable Skolelinux version.

But he also creates packages for Skolelinux/Lenny occasionally, just
probably not following the precedure Jürgen and Philipp mentioned.
Jonas, are you there and can comment on this?

> See http://ftp.skolelinux.org/skolelinux/squeeze_needs_love.html
> If you replace squeeze with lenny in that URL you'll see the progress we made
> since lenny :) There is also etch_needs_love... which shows a higher diff.
>
> So if you want to get something into Debian Edu, get it into Debian ;-)

So, you are saying, since CipUX is in Debian, it will be present as
installation option for Skolelinux in the next release, yes? Now this is
a different statement than what Jürgen and Philipp said before.

> BTW, now that I have your attention: do you know why cipux-cat-weasel hasnt
> been packaged yet?

Actually, we have an "unofficial" package on rp.skolelinux.de, but since
it build-depends on stuff not packaged in Debian yet, it's complicated.
Also, there are still a few problems with preconfiguration so that it
starts out-of-the-box on Skolelinux, which need to be adressed. Martin
wrote about that. Want to help? :-)

Regards
-Klaus