Re: How should we handle bug reports from our users ?

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
Hi,

On Montag, 31. August 2009, RalfGesellensetter wrote:
> > See also <URL:http://developer.skolelinux.no/feilrapporter.html>
> > (norwegian only),

It seems the english version of these guidelines has been added tot he DebianEdu wiki at :

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/HowTo/BugReports

> I remember having written detailed instructons in German. Lemme se:

I would recommend adding instructions to
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/Contribute (or maybe to
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/BugReporting (currently
non existing)) which has the benefit of getting translated to all languages
eventually.

Ralf's bugzilla howto seems like a good one, and it would have been nice to have it in english as well. Is there anyone willing to do so ? :)

And I would also recommnend _not_ to introduce a third way of reporting bugs
(we already have and use and are confused by bugs.debian.org/$package and
bugs.skolelinux.org) nor to proxy bugreports for other people.

Ok, I see and agree :)

Proxying (=relaying) bug reports is error prone, labor intensive and slow. If
people cannot submit bugs, we should make it easier for them - or (IMO) they
should contribute in some other way.

Yes, but I would prefer to make it possible for all our users to report bugs, so that all discovered bugs are reported and can be fixed.

I will rewrite the "Report a bug" document on the homepage and borrow some content from the "Tips regarding bug reports" . I advice the users to see the full "Tips regarding bug reports" in the wiki and also link to Ralf's bugzilla howto.

The users shall be encouraged to report bugs in this order:

1) Bugzilla (if they are able to)
2) Our maling list
3) Our web forum (if they do not like mailing lists, can be confusing for some users)

Is this a good / better solution? :)

Sending email to bugs@skolelinux.no is hereby discarded as possible solution.

By the way, thanks to all for participating in this discussion :) Your input was very usefull for me.

I will send a new email to the list when the document has been rewritten.

Have a nice day.

BR
Arnt Ove Gregersen