Re: Desktop profiles

On Thursday 22 May 2008, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
> No file is copied or modified in the user  home directory in no case. As
> I said before,

> once the user gconf database is created there is (almost) no way to
> automatically change the user appearance. It can be done, but it's not
> very ellegant or clean, so I would not do it, even if it could be
> activated with some global file setting.

Untrue (that's the beauty of stacking configuration sources):

to _force_ a new user appearance you merely need to set those changes in
a "mandatory configuration source" (i.e. it has a higher priority then the
user configuration source).

If you merely want to have a default user appearance, then you can still
change that easily if it's in a sepperate configuration source, though it
that case anything the user has overwritten will take preference.

The key to not having any conflicts is to make sure that each agent has (at
least) one configuration source to call it's own that nobody else messes
with. Debian Edu (or any other agent) then always knows what the state of
it's configuration source is, and can thus change it without running into
unexpected surprises:

This gives the following sources (any of which may be empty of settings):
- the default system wide one, fille by Debian package defaults
- the debian-edu one, for whatever package defaults debian-edu wants to
  override
- a school-specific one, for whatever the admin at the school might want to
  override
- the user one
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)