Re: Desktop profiles

On Thursday 22 May 2008, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
> Hi all,
> as most of you already know, I'm working in the merging of Linex with
> Debian Edu. LinEx has used Gnome for all his life, so I'm working on the
> possible Gnome desktop customizations. My intention is making kde &
> gnome desktops as similar as possible (that was one of the guidelines I
> followed with the education-menus package too).
> Looking at the way this is done with kde currently I've seen that the
> artwork is applied to all the users of the system (I have also some
> doubts about the way it's done, as it doesn't seem to by very clean
> under the Debian policy eye).
> To put Gnome config into debian-edu-artwork now I have two options:
> - using desktop-profiles it will be applied to every  new user under the
> teachers or students groups
> - withoug desktop-profiles it will be applied to every new user in the
> system.
>
> Notice that in both cases, it will not modify the created profiles. So,
> if some gnome user installs debianedu-artwork package he won't notice
> any change.
>
> Both options are mostly equally technically:
> - For every new user, desktop-profiles won't need to be a dependency of
> the package, and all the new users will notice they are using Debian
> Edu. This is the way KDE works currently in Debian Edu. Also, gdm
> configuration will be always visible for every user.
> - For students and teachers might make more sense, but it would require
> to add the users to these groups before their first login and adding a
> dependency on desktop-profiles to the package. Also, choosing this
> option would make logical to do the same with KDE.
>
> I vote for option 1 (for every  new user in the debian-edu pc), but I'm
> not really sure of it, so I'd like to hear more opinions before
> commiting the needed changes.

What we want to do is add a gconf configuration source with our art and
other settings. We need to add a configuration source as otherwise we'll
have to change configuration files of gnome packges which policy forbids
(which I'm guessing is what happens in option 1 above?)

Desktop-profiles gives you the mechanism to add the configuration source.
Note that that's completely orthogonal to wether or not that configuration
source gets activated for everyone on the machine, only for the members of
students/teachers, or some other condition.
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)