Re: Desktop profiles

El jue, 22-05-2008 a las 13:58 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen escribió:
> [José L. Redrejo Rodríguez]
> > I vote for option 1 (for every new user in the debian-edu pc), but
> > I'm not really sure of it, so I'd like to hear more opinions before
> > commiting the needed changes.
>
> I did not quite understand the 'new user' part.  I would prefer
> settings to be enabled when the package is installed, in a global file
> that can be changed when we upgrade packages.  I would not have
> anything copied into the users home directory, which would require
> editing a lot of files to fix or change.

For the Gnome part: the user profile is stored in a gconf database (at
~/.gconf). The gconf database is initializated with defaults values the
first time a user logins in Gnome.
So, in a Debian machine with gnome, a user who would install
debian-edu-artwork won't notice anything. Only new accounts created in
the machine will see the Debian Edu profile after they login.

So, my question is: do I just change the default Debian profile , or do
I use debian-profiles to filter which users see the default Debian Edu
profile at their first login?.

No file is copied or modified in the user  home directory in no case. As
I said before, once the user gconf database is created there is (almost)
no way to automatically change the user appearance. It can be done, but
it's not very ellegant or clean, so I would not do it, even if it could
be activated with some global file setting.

Cheers.
José L.