Re: stable update proposal: flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound

> [MarioDebian]
> > In other sites, iceweasel crash too, but with my small experience,
> > youtube videos have more chance to crash iceweasel (metacafe or others
> > crash less times)
>
> Can you reproduce it?

Crashes are random, watching youtube videos, should crash every 5-10 videos.

Today trying with metacafe, videos don't want to load :(

With video.google.com crash with first video.

Always, crash are when caching video or starting to play it
(I suppose when flash open ALSA device)

> > Anyway, to get sources and compile from NEW?
> >
> > http://ftp-master.debian.org/new/flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound_0.0.svn2431-3.html
>
> It is the same source as the one available from
> <URL:ftp://ftp.skolelinux.no/skolelinux/pool/local/f/flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound/>.
> Only the version number is different.
>
> > My package put libflashsupport.so file in /usr/lib, this .so file is a
> > iceweasel plugin or system lib?
>
> It is actually a iceweasel plugin plugin.  It is a plugin for the
> adobe flash plugin. :)

Ok fully agreed.

> > In PulseAudio PerfectSetup talks about /usr/lib/libflashsupport.so
>
> Yes.  One of the FTP-masters in debian did not like to have a plugin
> in /usr/lib/, so I moved it in my package.
>
> > http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/FlashPlayer9Solution
> >
> > CJ van den Berg, from [pkg-pulseaudio-devel] have packaged
> > flashplugin-nonfree-pulse
> >
> > http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-pulseaudio-devel/2008-January/000322.html
> >
> > We are talking about same package?
>
> Yes.  See bug #449037.
>
> I disabled pulseaudio (compile time flag) because it is supposed to
> show up in a different package.  I can enable it, but I was told that
> pulseaudio can handle both esd and oss and this made me believe that
> it would do better as a separate package.

Plugin have autodetection sound system.

Try with pulse --> try with esound --> try with ALSA --> try with OSS

You can change order without disabling it:

You can move this block:

flashsupport.c (line 371)

#if defined(ESD)
	//Check if ESD is running
	if(!stat("/tmp/.esd/socket",&buf)) {
		if(audiodebug) fprintf( stderr, "ESD socket found\n");
		audiodrivers = audiodrivers | AUDIO_ESD;
	}
	//ESD over network
	if((tmpenv=getenv("ESPEAKER"))!=NULL) {
		if(audiodebug) fprintf( stderr, "ESD variable ESPEAKER found\n");
		audiodrivers = audiodrivers | AUDIO_ESD;
	}

#endif

and put before PULSE detection.

(can use FLASH_FORCE_ESD env var too)

I think that isn't good to have 2 different packages in Debian with
the same proposal.

There is another reason to not disable pulseaudio.... LTSP 5 comes with
PulseAudio wich work many many many better than esound.

I suppose that one of most important targets in debian-edu is thin clients
networks and PulseAudio in sound is like compiz in desktop effects.

PulseAudio use less network bandwich (200Kb/client  <=> 5Mb/client)
and is more robust than esound. I start using PulseAudio in thin
clients from 2006 Sept, because some java educational apps
don't work with esound (do you know JClic? [1][2] )

> Happy hacking,
> --
> Petter Reinholdtsen

I haven't introduced before, I'm Mario Izquierdo (aka mariodebian),
I'm working right now for Madrid Goverment in his Ubuntu based distro
called MaX,
I'm subscribed some time ago in debian-edu and if my bit knowledge
(and bad english speaking) is necesary I will try to help.

[1] http://soleup.eup.uva.es/mario/post/1/400 (in spanish but with screenshots)
[2] http://clic.xtec.net/en/jclic/

Greetings

--