Re: Free software world conference

Dear José

thanks for your quick reply!
> > thanks for those links. I do read a little bit of Spanish, but I
> > feel that the arguements for the LinEx project should be made
> > availble on a more international level.
>
> I don't understand what you mean. DebianEdu is a international level.
> More than enough for me, at least at the technical layer.

What I meant, is the political discussion and the benefits which are
drawn from free software by the local economy.

> yes, ;-) I know the report, in fact you can watch me speaking at
> 1'20" in the video. We have it translated in some languages
> (portuguese, german, spanish, french, english and italian), you can
> take a look at: http://www.linex.org/linex2/euro-n/

Brilliant *leap* - if you knew how much I tried to find a German
version! I even had sent mails to Euronews channel.

> > As for Gambas, BTW: could you possibly point me to its BTS? I
> > started using it in class today - and my kids loved it! Just the
> > sample applications should be able to run in write protected mode
> > (otherwise it is tricky to locate them for cloning).
>
> There is no BTS, all the bugs are discussed through the mailing list,
> as you can check at http://gambas.sourceforge.net/tr-report.html

Thank you for this information as well...

> About what you say, it's hard to be fixed: gambas needs to compile
> the sources before executing the examples, but , as definition,
> gambas always writes the compiled files in the same directory the
> sources are, in a hidden directory called .gambas. As part of the

This is more or less what I guessed to be the reason. But you must
admit, that the (really good!) idea to offer sample projects at startup
is next to useless if you cannot try out those samples. I see two
approaches for solution:
- use writable directories in /tmp for compilation
- offer a "save as" feature to copy sample projects straight away to
your home folder.

> Gambas policy, all the files must be in the same directory: sources,
> images, etc. For the examples you can copy the directory to your home
> and execute them from it. The problem you've found could be my fault,
> as I maintain the packages in Debian. Gambas makefiles compile the
> examples, and in the past I included the binaries in the gambas-doc
> package, and you could execute the examples from
> /usr/share/gambas/examples as they didn't need to be compiled. But

I understand.

> having compiled files in
> the /usr/share/xxx directory is not a good thing for the Debian
> policy, so I patch the makefiles to avoid the binaries to be included
> in the package. The result is that you can load, see and dig into the
> examples but need to copy them to a directory with writing
> permissions to be able to modify or execute it.

Yes. I understand. Would a "save as" menu entry be hard to implement?
Or just extend the file selector by a 3rd icon for samples (home, root,
samples)

> Anyway, you can go to the gambas-devel mailing list trying to force
> the compiler to compile in a temporary directory if it can not do it
> in the sources dir, but I'm afraid that option will be hardly
> accepted by the main upstream author.

OK. If it can be done by a patch, we could discuss about adding this
patch as part of Debianization...

> And for your kids, gambas could be a really good option, as you get
> quick results easily, and students like to see a graphic application
> soon, not after months of console compilations. The current IDE
> (1.9.47 version) is probably one of the best IDE in the free source

I tried to install Gambas2 on Sarge first, but it didn't work. Then I
went for
	deb http://apt.linex.org/linex/gambas/1.0.16/sarge/ ./
which is already very neat. The IDE is so much faster than, say netbeans
(which we use in 12th grade).

> world, And if you use it to teach programming, you can take your
> students from the old basic to OOP using the same environment.

As for this, I believe that it is better to make a cut and start from
scratch to make sure there is no non-OOP remainders left ;)
And our (recently) centralized A-level exams demand Java (or Pascal) as
programming language anyway. But as a quick start for programming in
9th or 10th grade, Gambas is realy great. And the crab is just cute!

Kind regards
Ralf