Re: Free software world conference

El mar, 30-01-2007 a las 19:40 +0100, RalfGesellensetter escribió:
> Am Montag 29 Januar 2007 09:32 schrieb José L. Redrejo Rodríguez:
> > You could get more info on our work at:
> > http://linex.educarex.es/
> > http://www.educarex.es/linexcolegios/
> > http://www.linex.org/
> >
> > I'm afraid these pages are only in spanish.
>
> Dear José,
>
> thanks for those links. I do read a little bit of Spanish, but I feel
> that the arguements for the LinEx project should be made availble on a
> more international level.

I don't understand what you mean. DebianEdu is a international level.
More than enough for me, at least at the technical layer.

> For the same reason I wonder, if you do know the EURONEWS report on
> Extremadura/LinEx? I have a Spanish copy, and together with Pablo Pita,
> started subtitling - until we ended up in hundreds of strings that
> still need to be allocated to time frames... Maybe the municipality of
> Extremadura (or even you) has copies of this spot in multiple languages
> (as EURONEWS usually localizes all their coverage to different
> tongues)?

yes, ;-) I know the report, in fact you can watch me speaking at 1'20"
in the video. We have it translated in some languages (portuguese,
german, spanish, french, english and italian), you can take a look at:
http://www.linex.org/linex2/euro-n/

> As for Gambas, BTW: could you possibly point me to its BTS? I started
> using it in class today - and my kids loved it! Just the sample
> applications should be able to run in write protected mode (otherwise
> it is tricky to locate them for cloning).

There is no BTS, all the bugs are discussed through the mailing list, as
you can check at http://gambas.sourceforge.net/tr-report.html
About what you say, it's hard to be fixed: gambas needs to compile the
sources before executing the examples, but , as definition, gambas
always writes the compiled files in the same directory the sources are,
in a hidden directory called .gambas. As part of the Gambas policy, all
the files must be in the same directory: sources, images, etc.
For the examples you can copy the directory to your home and execute
them from it. The problem you've found could be my fault, as I maintain
the packages in Debian. Gambas makefiles compile the examples, and in
the past I included the binaries in the gambas-doc package, and you
could execute the examples from /usr/share/gambas/examples as they
didn't need to be compiled. But having compiled files in
the /usr/share/xxx directory is not a good thing for the Debian policy,
so I patch the makefiles to avoid the binaries to be included in the
package. The result is that you can load, see and dig into the examples
but need to copy them to a directory with writing permissions to be able
to modify or execute it.
Anyway, you can go to the gambas-devel mailing list trying to force the
compiler to compile in a temporary directory if it can not do it in the
sources dir, but I'm afraid that option will be hardly accepted by the
main upstream author.

And for your kids, gambas could be a really good option, as you get
quick results easily, and students like to see a graphic application
soon, not after months of console compilations. The current IDE (1.9.47
version) is probably one of the best IDE in the free source world, And
if you use it to teach programming, you can take your students from the
old basic to OOP using the same environment.

Regards.
José L.