Re: Free software world conference

Hi,

On Monday 29 January 2007 16:53, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
> Obviously, we are open to any kind of collaboration, but my intention is
> going some steps more. I would like to integrate LinEx (at least, the
> version of LinEx that's installed in our schools) in DebianEdu,

Cool! I'm very much looking forward to discuss and do this! And, as
development to lenny (the next debian-version after etch) has not even really
begun, we also have a good chance to achieve that!

For lenny we (skolelinux/debian-edu) also would like to achieve that the
skolelinux-CDs only contain packages from debian, not special ones like we
have now for etch (and had for sarge and woody). Thats only a few packages
and sometimes even only the version of the package is different, but still.

Actually, as you are based on debian integration of linex in debian-edu fits
well in our current setting: the german and french debian-edu teams also use
slighty modified versions of debian-edu (via an add-on cd), so we need
locally tweaked CDs anyway.

BTW, I've submitted a workshop about these issues for debconf7 as well. (The
topic is something like "building CDDs inside of lenny" or so)

> and that
> should always be done inside the Debian project, so any collaboration
> with an Ubuntu based distribution will be possible, but not so tight. I
> don't know if that will finally be possible, but that's what we are
> going to try.

/me nods - unfortunatly I don't really have an idea how to collobarate in
practice with ubuntu based distributions on a larger level. For (single)
packages it can work...

> I think it's possible because we only use Debian for our
> distribution, plus our setups and educative packages. We would like to
> walk the needed steps to do that, giving from our side all the work and
> experience we have got in the last four years, and becoming part of a
> more international project, with a lot of skilled, experienced and
> interesting people.

As said: very cool!

regards,
	Holger