Re: Free software world conference

On 01/30/2007 09:29 PM, RalfGesellensetter wrote:
Dear José

thanks for your quick reply!
thanks for those links. I do read a little bit of Spanish, but I
feel that the arguements for the LinEx project should be made
availble on a more international level.
I don't understand what you mean. DebianEdu is a international level.
More than enough for me, at least at the technical layer.

What I meant, is the political discussion and the benefits which are drawn from free software by the local economy.

Yes, very important, of course.

EU has financed an economic research program into Fre/Libre/Open Source Software ("FLOSS"). The final report is out (as announced at Slashdot and elsewhere). Extremadura is one of the cases in the report. People on this list will certainly learn a lot more about the case by talking to José and others, but the report may be used as a "heavy" political argument. The main report is not an easy read, it is extremely dry, and propped with numbers. The sub-report describing the cases is more easily informative.

I just also have to mention the case of Beaumont Hospital, from the report, the largest hospital in Ireland. After spending a lot of wasted money on the "Y2K-bug" they experienced a dramatic budget cut on ICT: From yearly 1.6 million € to 20.000 €!

600.000 € of the 1.6 million covered annual licenses. So the ICT-staff re-educated itself to do "FLOSS", spending half-a-year on that process, and they searched the FLOSS-world and found 1) fully working FLOSS-alternatives or 2) ways to develop solutions themselves. They were thus able to replace most of their applications and operating systems with Open Source alternatives. (They only had to keep Windows on the desktops, "because the Phd-students denied to use Star Office" -- and Microsoft cut their license-fees by 80%).

Read more here:
Case Report:
http://www.publicsectoross.info/images/resources/9_616_file.pdf

Full, final report:
http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/ict/policy/doc/2006-11-20-flossimpact.pdf

best wishes,
Lars

--
Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture
University of Oslo,