Re: the .org proposal or "join forces"

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 12:30:28PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

David C. Weichert's proposal:

> > * www.skolelinux.org (International Portal)
> > * blogs.skolelinux.org (Blogs)
> > * planet.skolelinux.org (Planet)
> > * people.skolelinux.org (Pages about members)
> > * wiki.skolelinux.org (Wiki)
> > * doc.skolelinux.org (Documentation)
> > * bugs.skolelinux.org (Bugtracking)
>
> What about schools.skolelinux.org ?

My old proposal:

>  o http://skolelinux.org/  -> forwarded to /wiki/ (?)
>  o http://skolelinux.org/wiki/
>  o http://skolelinux.org/blogs/
>  o http://skolelinux.org/planet/
>  o http://skolelinux.org/doc/
>  o http://skolelinux.org/schools/
>  o http://bugs.skolelinux.org/
>  o http://people.skolelinux.org/ or http://folk.skolelinux.org/

> > So who feels responsible for the organisation of the .org-proposal
> > and who has the control about that?
>
> I still have a hard time understanding the difference between
> skolelinux development and Debian development. I have no interest in
> building up a parallel to Debian.
>
> And no, I do not believe it is necessary that all development is done
> by "authorized personel" (read: official Debian developers). Official
> developers are needed for the final packaging steps of signing and
> uploading (which means they personally take responsibility of the
> quality of the package, so in reality there's more to it than just the
> simple acts).

This is a more detailed proposal from me where I try to figure out
which parts of the Debian infrastructure we can/should use.

 o http://skolelinux.org/ - I would like to forward this front-page to a
   wiki where a lot of our information is present and at least most of
   it is linked up. Maybe to one or more SVN-dumps to
   http://skolelinux.org/<svn-dump>/ where our documentation-tree from
   d.skolelinux.no/documentation/ is a great example.

   Can we use Debian's webpages for this? I don't think so, because we
   don't have enough DD's for commiting patches to the webpages,
   right?

 o http://skolelinux.org/wiki/ - our main site where the content is
   like described above. The Germans have done a great job with their
   wiki, so I believe we should be able to use the same technology for
   our international site. But, if this should work out we must agree
   that the master language is english. Does anyone have a problem
   with that?

   And will the Germans move some of their content (which is of
   interest to the international and technical visitors) from their
   wiki at skolelinux.de/wiki/ to this wiki?

   Could we use http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu for this? Yes
   probably. The only challenge I see is that if we for one reason
   would like to do any changes deeper into the wiki, we don't have
   permissions to that. I'm not sure if this will be a problem. Can
   we have the opinion of you guys administrating the wiki on
   http://skolelinux.de/wiki/ ?? Do we have other arguments for not
   using wiki.debian.org?

 o http://blogs.skolelinus.org/ - I'm not a blogger nor a blog-admin
   myself, so if anyone have any comments that would have been great.

   I don't believe Debian have any blogging-infrastructure, so we'll
   have to set up our own.

 o http://planet.skolelinux.org/ - Can we use planet.debian.org? Is
   there only DD's that are linked up there? And planet.debian.org's
   target is probably Developers not users, teachers, and admins, or
   am I wrong?

 o http://skolelinux.org/doc/ - I believe this can be a good place do
   dump a directory from SVN with our Skolelinux-specific
   documentation. That is the documentation that has to do with our
   CD, architecture, the sysadmin-documentation and so on. I don't
   believe Debian has any place where this fit in?

 o http://skolelinux.org/schools/ - The list of schools that we
   already have today.

 o http://bugs.skolelinux.org/ - Can we use bugs.d.o? Yes, for a lot
   of bugs we can and we should, but I don't think pointing teachers
   to bugs.d.o's interfaces is a good idea. So if we want bugreports
   from our primary users, I believe we should continue use the
   bugzilla we have at bugs.skolelinux.no now. It has been put a lot
   of effort in cleaning it up too.

 o http://people.skolelinux.org/ or http://folk.skolelinux.org/ -
   homepages for all that have an skolelinux.org-account. As we not
   are only Debian Developers, people.debian.org cannot be used.

Comments are more than welcome! :)

- Werner