Re: the .org proposal or "join forces"

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:50:39 +0100
"Morten Werner Olsen" <werner@usit.uio.no> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 09:36:20PM +0100, Ole-Anders Andreassen wrote:
>
> > > The site could be split into different subdomains reflecting the
> > > different users rather than technologies:

I don't understand - what I read below is actually splitting by service
types rather than users, no?

> > > * www.skolelinux.org (International Portal)
> > > * blogs.skolelinux.org (Blogs)
> > > * planet.skolelinux.org (Planet)
> > > * people.skolelinux.org (Pages about members)
> > > * wiki.skolelinux.org (Wiki)
> > > * doc.skolelinux.org (Documentation)
> > > * bugs.skolelinux.org (Bugtracking)
> >
> > What about schools.skolelinux.org ?
>
> I agree .. but I think that we should keep the domains to a
> minimum and rather have something like this:
>
>  o http://skolelinux.org/  -> forwarded to /wiki/ (?)
>  o http://skolelinux.org/wiki/
>  o http://skolelinux.org/blogs/
>  o http://skolelinux.org/planet/
>  o http://skolelinux.org/doc/
>  o http://skolelinux.org/schools/
>  o http://bugs.skolelinux.org/
>  o http://people.skolelinux.org/ or http://folk.skolelinux.org/

Multiple domains can relatively easy be hosted on same machine.

Multiple services on a single domain name is usually tricky to scale
well: How to optimize for PHP (EZ Publish) *and* Python (MoinMoin wiki)
*and* java/perl/ruby/whatever (blogger, LMS, SVN frontends, whatever)
on the same machine?

> > On the norwegian list's I've been asking about blogs.  Petter told
> > me about this thread on debian-edu@lists.
> >
> > As a skolelinux-administrator on a school, I belive that a blog and
> > a wiki would be a great suplement to the already existing
> > documentation.
> >
> > I also belive that it's important to bring the developers and the
> > administrators closer together. Blogging could be one way to do
> > this...
>
> Blogs and people's homepages (people.s.o or folk.s.o) can of course be
> written in the language that each person prefers, but for the other
> website's I would stronly recommend that we should use english as the
> _only_ language. Why? Because it is the only language we have common,
> and if we should be able to join our forces towards a common goal I
> believe this is very important.

Globalisation is important, but localisation is too: It is important for
local groups to blossom, and not all speak english fluently.

It should not be a requirement for a school administrator to speak
english fluently in order to share knowledge and team spirit with
others.

 - Jonas

- --