Re: the .org proposal or "join forces"

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:35:53 +0100
Steffen Joeris <Steffen.Joeris@skolelinux.de> wrote:

> On Tuesday 20 December 2005 05:29, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:50:39 +0100
>
> > Globalisation is important, but localisation is too: It is
> > important for local groups to blossom, and not all speak english
> > fluently.
> >
> > It should not be a requirement for a school administrator to speak
> > english fluently in order to share knowledge and team spirit with
> > others.
> I agree Jonas, admins can choose the language they prefer, but for
> the developers it is necessary to communicate and work together ....
> and maybe we should start with them and see how it works.

I agree (as some of youve probably noticed from my hinting about it
from time to time). The reason I clarify the separate needs is that
Ole-Anders Andreassen has joined this thread and is *explicitly*
interested in the admin community.

I see a point in Skolelinux providing portal tools for local school
admins to feel part of a greater community.

> So who feels responsible for the organisation of the .org-proposal
> and who has the control about that?

I still have a hard time understanding the difference between
skolelinux development and Debian development. I have no interest in
building up a parallel to Debian.

And no, I do not believe it is necessary that all development is done
by "authorized personel" (read: official Debian developers). Official
developers are needed for the final packaging steps of signing and
uploading (which means they personally take responsibility of the
quality of the package, so in reality there's more to it than just the
simple acts).

I suspect most (norwegian at least) Skolelinux developers do not share
my views, so me in charge of this would probably not be representative
of Skolelinux (but hey - we are a do-o-cracy, not a democracy, so who
cares, right?).

 - Jonas

- --