Re: Skolelinux Sarge-alpha & Some samba questions

ons, 04,.05.2005 kl. 21.27 +0200, skrev Finn-Arne Johansen:
> Well, You can get that from BzzWare - not sure if other deliver this.
> But you wont get it for free. It's a lot of work - I know - I'm running
> some sarge-based debian-edu installations.

Well. I've been testing out the bzz image on the side since said
January(?), and have used it for production for a month now. I pretty
much know the snags by now. Upgrade path to newer versions need testing,
which packages to hold back or not.
But desktop utilities mostly don't bother with the more troublesome
system utilities, so it's not all that much of a bother.

> As far as I know, the latest images have all been installable, but Since
> I have not had time to test the images lately, there hasn't been
> released any new test-images ....

And again, there's a far cry between installable and something you can
trust to install and have going without too much trouble.
Workstations are easy, but servers are a little more fickle. Agreed.
So I've worked out some config files, a tasksel like script to
autoinstall packages from a list, and some more bits and pieces.
Plan is
      * To fix my package installation script so it works with aptitude
        instead of apt-get. Then it can be used to hold packages at a
        certain version.
      * Make package lists for Skolelinux-Sarge, Lessdisks and Gnome.
        These could need input, not just from me.
      * Learn cfengine so configuration files can be changed in place.
        To replace whole configuration files aren't good enough. I'm
        sure others could learn to use cfengine too.. (How is the proper
        way to add configuration files in Skolelinux, btw? Cfengine
        isn't the Right Thing for whole files is it?)
      * Add these things into some utility that gives a clean upgrade
        path from earlier CD images. (No plans to do any cd images yet.
        I think this would be someone elses job, if said person wants
        to.)
Can't promise a fast job, I have other things to do, too. But I'll share
what I do, especially with those cooperating.
But at least now, I can put a day or two per week to these things. And
hopefully I'll be able to follow up on development.

But.. I'll share what I do, especially with people doing the same. And
that isn't cheap, is it?

Harald