Re: Re: Question: what's wrong with KDE? (Re: 1 year report)

G'day,

XFCE4 seems to be the lightweight desktop of choice these days. It's GTK
based (like gnome), and looks a lot like OSX. Definitely worth looking
at for very low end machines.

Because it is GTK based, it works better with gnome apps than KDE (you
already have gtk libs in memory... loading qt stuff uses extra).

Last time I looked, it was pretty complete, only lacking the extra
frills that Gnome etc has. Probably the biggest thing missing is the
nice Gnome Desktop Preferences configuration stuff.

As to what is wrong with KDE... for me it is an illogical aversion based
on the bad taste the licensing issue left in my mouth... I know, that
was years ago, but Gnome works very well for me, and it keeps on getting
better. I'm so used to it now, every time I use a KDE interface I just
get frustrated.

Learning and supporting two desktops is a pain... I can understand the
desire to "standardise" on one. However, for me, that means I will pick
Gnome every time over KDE. If debian-edu was KDE only, I would not use
it... I would pick something else that was Gnome based, or roll my own.

--
Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au>
http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/