Re: Re: Question: what's wrong with KDE? (Re: 1 year report)

On Thu, 05 May 2005 21:22:57 +1000, Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au> wrote:

Learning and supporting two desktops is a pain... I can understand the
desire to "standardise" on one. However, for me, that means I will pick
Gnome every time over KDE. If debian-edu was KDE only, I would not use
it... I would pick something else that was Gnome based, or roll my own.

 That goes for me, too.  I use neither GNOME nor KDE.  And that is the
case with many of Debian-edu's contributors and developers.  We may test
or develop Debian-edu software, but we don't use vanilla Debian-edu installs
ourselves.

 Is that a big problem?  Are we really the target group of Debian-edu?
I'd say that is most important for contributors and developers that they
can contribute, easily.  They don't have to eat all our dogfood to do
that.  It would be nice if they did, for the sake of testing.  But I am
sure that we can't make all the experienced Linux users _and_ our target
audience happy, and still fit Skolelinux onto 1, one, CD.  It just won't
happen.

--
Herman Robak