Re: Q: Raid-5 Controller (Hardware aquiration)

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 20:18, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Thomas Templin]
>
> > I would _never_ use a software raid controller in a productive
> > environment!  It's like having a Porsche on bicycle tires.  It will
> > work until there is a problem.  But what comes than will be a
> > disaster.
>
> Yes, I've noticed some people have an impressive trust in hardware
> raid.  When we decided to use software raid on
> developer.skolelinux.no, instead of the optional hw raid controller in
> the Dell PowerEdge 2550, we benchmarked the performance and discovered
> that the software raid was a lot faster than the hardware raid.
OK
But what if you have to rebuild a raid5 stack?
Did you do some benchmarking on that?
And that's why I would never ever use a SW raid5 in a productive environment.

> And
> with software raid, we were able to get information about the status
> of the raid, while with HW raid we didn't find any sensible tools to
> administrate it.
>
> > Have a look at IPC Vortex controllers they are (mostly) working out
> > of the box.
>
> Which kernel driver are these using?  Could you provide some info for
> my page at
> <URL:http://developer.skolelinux.no/info/prosjektet/delprosjekt/hw-raid-inf
>o.html>?
IPC offers quite up to date kernel Modules, even for Debian, if you ask for.
But you have to register your hardware first. /-:

Bye,
TT