Re: Newbie friendly security and firewall docs (cookbook?)

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 08, 2014 at 10:29:09PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Mi, 08 oct 14, 08:49:44, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >
> > I think the type of material I'm looking for should be in the "Debian
> > GNU/Linux Installation Guide". It is the one document _every_ new user is
> > told to read.
>
> Maybe Debian Reference would be more appropriate (CC-ing Osamu to get
> his attention).

Well it is a bit too much to address such big topic.  I only address few
problematic cases in each section.

Quite frankly, there is no easy way.

Not to enable services and not to change default system permissions are good
idea for most newbies.

> > I'll take a stab at putting selected content in a form suitable for the
> > Installation Guide. This weekend looks open. I'll send my attempt to you
> > off-list.

There are many firewall script if you wish to do so.  But if you do not
listen to port, you are safer, too.

Some one said: "Security is process".  I think it is right.

Osamu