Re: Newbie friendly security and firewall docs (cookbook?)

Javier Fernandez-Sanguino wrote:

On 6 October 2014 13:53, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net
<mailto:rowlett@cloud85.net>> wrote:

        In the context of -doc the only document I'm aware of is
        the Securing
        Debian HOWTO.

    I've attempted to digest it. It's too complete - e.g. it
    talks about securing features [web servers etc] that I do not
    believe should exist on a system used by my target audience
    [including myself].

Yes, the document is targeted towards a sysadmin audience, not a
desktop user. That being said, it should be easy to write a
"Security for desktops" chapter more targeted towards end-users
including do's and dont's and recommended best practices there.

        While it will probably contain all the information you
        require, but it's entirely possible it might scare your
        friend a bit.

    It scares me ;/

Please go through chapter 2 "Before you begin" and 3 "Before and
during the installation". I think those chapters can be easily
applied to a desktop environment. If they "scare you" maybe we
have to tone down the content.

Will do. Probably not today, my furnace is out and cold front coming.
I would recommend it as a separate document or as an appendix rather than a chapter. You want to refer a newbie to something small if possible.

Best regards

Javier