Re: Newbie friendly security and firewall docs (cookbook?)

Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> writes:

> I'm looking for a reference document that wouldn't scare my
> friend off Debian and also give me the required information to:
>    1. close the maximum number of ports.
>       I see him using browser, email, ftp file downloading.
>       I don't see him being a server. All incoming packets should
> be to
>       fulfill a previous outgoing request - [correctly phrased?].

Totally not self-promotion or anything - ;) - but to achieve what you
need I have a firewall script and some explanation on my site
(drw.ninth.su/gnu.html). It is based on what you'll find in the Securing
Debian Manual (which is well worth a read if you feel up to it).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Dom