Re: debiandoc-sgml update

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 10:04:19PM +0100, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Hi, I am BTS cleaning mode :-)

Thanks. Attached is a patch which should be uploaded.
Osamu, Ardo?

> On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 11:45:47PM +0100, Jens Seidel wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 10:44:31PM +0100, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > > Also last minutes check whether we can enable Korean PDF/PS?  (Jens?
> > > Any good idea?)
> >
> > Korean works nice (but not perfect since English strings such as
> > "Chapter" are still used) using fixlatex from DDP.
>
> I see.  This reminded me to check several bugs for debiandoc-sgml.

Again: It works well on my Woody and Sarge box but www-masters version
of apt-howto.ko.pdf has wrong fonts. Can someone check whether
hlatex and hlatex-fonts-base are installed? If yes I assume Recommends:
is incomplete (I added already gs and cjk-latex, ..., a few
Chinese/Japanese fonts are still missing in Recommends since I had no
time to check that all fonts used in debian-reference package are really
necessary).

> Considering this package to be last stage before deprecated, I think we
> should not ask too much to the maintainer but some simple fix to support
> existing documentation and their translation will be needed.
>
> I would say, unless someone decides to volunteer for significant time,
> let's keep most of these wishlist items (except L10N) as almost "wontfix".

OK.

> Above changes for severity are the result of my review.

> * 286537 Paper size
> This needs to be fixed if report is true.  So stays normal.

Bug confirmed and fixed.

> * L10N support data
> GREEK 283260, ARABIC 286240 support info: request to ML with
> instruction.
> Slovenian 291481 is good.  We need to prepare a patch (Expand
> documentation for how to add new locales)

Slovenian added (and bogus LaTeX code from patch fixed).

> I call them L10N bugs.  These should be minor considering there has been
> practical needs to support them.  Of course we need help so tags them as
> HELP when ever there is no information provided.  I will ping original
> bug report separately to let them know the way to add language support.
>
> Thread of discussion and BTS report followings are good reference:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-doc/2005/01/msg00123.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-doc/2005/01/msg00125.html
> http://bugs.debian.org/291481
>
> Jens's patch to German belongs to this category too.

A really minor fix :-)

> * 202315 CJK PDF/PS
> Together with wishlist 229849, 244625 bugs with seemingly good fix
> proposals, this bug needs to be fixed.  Ask Jens to look into this with
> current Korean fix issues. (See below) I consider them as normal bugs.

Done.

> * 214249 Style (TeX)
> If this is a good patch, I can agree to keep it in minor.

Fixed (80% of it was already fixed in the past).

> * 188117, 213332, Style w/o patch
> These are nonessential cosmetic requests without specific patch
> attached.  So moving them to "wishlist".
>
> * 285885 Type setting TeX
> Although annoying as reported, changing TEX's behavior is nontrivial.
> Since 238003 is wishlist, this should be equal severity.  Modern UTF-8
> desktop complicates situation more too.
>
> * 218529 Error output style
> Silly is worth only for wishlist.  Maybe worth sending ping.

These are not yet fixed.

> * 202317 touch up script
> This capability will greatly helps unifying support of many
> documentation.  Current patch is non-functional thus removed but this is
> worth attacking, I think.  Please think about it when you look script.

Sorry, I didn't tried your patch but propose a new one which works.
But I think your patch looks good as well!

I also fixed partially #244625 by changing "\dots " to \dots{}"
which adds a space after ... when necessary. The fonts related
stuff is not applied since I never play with fonts, I use defaults
especially in LaTeX.

> KOREAN ISSUE:
> > Please note that there is currently already another Korean document in
> > DDP:
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/apt-howto.ko.pdf
> > The file above looks ugly, don't know why. I was able to create this
> > document on my Woody and Sarge system. Maybe the required packages
> > hlatex and hlatex-fonts-base where installed on www-master after
> > the build occurred and one needs just to touch the apt-howto.ko.sgml file
> > to force a new rebuild?
>
> This seems to have encoding problem.

NO, it works locally (using the fixlatex script from DDP).

> > The current patch can be found as attachment.
> > I will improve and finish it this week.

Done.

> Please.  Can you check all TeX style related patch and propose good
> patch.
>
>  229849

Not yet fixed.

>  244625 (patch exist)

Partially fixed.

PS: I forgot to remove a few Todo items in source package.

As soon as this package is uploaded it should be installed on www-master
(libroman-perl and sgml-data from Sarge are required for this?).

Jens