Re: Warning for incomplete/bad manual

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 09:41:23PM -0800, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 09:03:08PM -0800, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > I suggest that there should be a standard format warning within the
> > document itself, so that it stays with the document even if it is printed.
> > For example, just below the title:
>
> If you want to do it, it should be in <abstract> section.

	yes

> <example>
>  +------------------------------------------------------------+
>  |                       Deprecated!                          |
>  |  This document is not maintained by the author and may     |
>  |  contain incorrect information.                            |
>  |  Use it for research into Debian's past, only.             |
>  |                 Date: DD/MMM/YYYY  Debian docs maintainer  |
>  +------------------------------------------------------------+
> </example>

I like your wording much more than mine. It gets to the point without
being unkind. And the date of the message is a very good idea. This date
is very helpful to someone who is trying to figure out the sequence of events.

> Should be suffice.  Note softer wording because it may be correct.  Also
> I think there should be a date recorded for this action since document
> date can be updated with the last cron build date superfluously.
>
> I think this should be done for the document without update over a year
> and its author can not be reached or he adimit its outdated.
>
> First maintainer needs to make decision.  Then this needs to be informed
> to the original author as a courtesy.  Give at least 2 weeks for
> response from them.
>
> > If the addition of something such as this mucks up the pagination in
> > the document, so be it.
> ... No it does not. (debiandoc is smart)
> > With such a warning inserted into the document, it should not be
> > necessary to hide the document in a special place.
>
> That's why I am calling to put them into "archive" = "closet" :)

OK. But it should not be suppressed entirely and it should be internally
marked as to its new lower level of authority so as to limit the damage
if it excapes from the closet.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@quiknet.com