Re: Making Debian available

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 20:20:56 +0100, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu>
wrote:
>But my personal experience is that random users
>do not even try Debian since they know from "competent friends" that
>Debian is way harder to install than Ubuntu.  I admit I'm a bit bored by
>this discussion and I do not really want to open that can of worms of
>the relation between Debian and Ubuntu but I'm pretty sure that
>providing an installer to the masses that has a high probability to
>create extra work is not the best idea to attract users.

We are not going to solve THIS one with providing non-free drivers.
What people want is an installatin that doesn't ask questions. Even a
single question beyond "which color do you want for your screen
background" is one too much. People don't want that.

It is our design principle to give the users the power to actually
DECIDE what ends up on their machine, and it is my firm belief that
this is the way to make technically experienced people happy, but it's
total hell for newbies.

Greetings
Marc
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |