Re: isc-dhcp-client sends DHCPDISCOVER *before* wpa_supplicant authenticates/associates/connects.

Quoting Luca Capello (2020-07-14 13:44:17)
> Hi there,
>
> On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 19:15:47 +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> > On 2020-07-12 20:35:56 +0200 (+0200), Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > [...]
> > > What is (unusual but) usable, however, is to *not* use Network
> > > Manager for wifi, but use IWD+systemd or IWD standalone for wifi,
> > > and use Network Manager to manage _other_ network components.
> > >
> > > In such unusual-but-real setup, wpa-supplicant would be dead
> > > weight. Lightweight, arguably, but a daemon and therefore
> > > additional risk of hair-pulling confusions: If wpa-supplicant
> > > daemon is running, IWD fails to work.
> > [...]
> > > On Debian you can only remove the wpa-supplicant if you also
> > > remove network-manager - which I find is an unnecessary tight
> > > coupling.
> > [...]
> >
> > Worth considering is that it still may in fact not be *too* unusual
> > to have systems with no wireless network interface at all.
>
> FWIW, and without defending NetworkManager, wpa_supplicant is *not*
> only for wireless networks, but it could be needed for other networks
> as well (e.g. because of 802.1x).

IWD optionally supports wired 802.1x networing as well, but seemingly
that feature is currently not enabled.

If encourage anyone reading this with access and skills to test wired
802.1x networing to file a wishlist request against iwd to pass
configure option "--enable-wired" - and then help test that it works.

Similarly, IWD optionally supports linking with ofono, for people
interested in using it e.g. on phones.

 - Jonas