Re: isc-dhcp-client sends DHCPDISCOVER *before* wpa_supplicant authenticates/associates/connects.

Hi there,

On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 19:15:47 +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2020-07-12 20:35:56 +0200 (+0200), Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> [...]
> > What is (unusual but) usable, however, is to *not* use Network
> > Manager for wifi, but use IWD+systemd or IWD standalone for wifi,
> > and use Network Manager to manage _other_ network components.
> >
> > In such unusual-but-real setup, wpa-supplicant would be dead
> > weight. Lightweight, arguably, but a daemon and therefore
> > additional risk of hair-pulling confusions: If wpa-supplicant
> > daemon is running, IWD fails to work.
> [...]
> > On Debian you can only remove the wpa-supplicant if you also
> > remove network-manager - which I find is an unnecessary tight
> > coupling.
> [...]
>
> Worth considering is that it still may in fact not be *too* unusual
> to have systems with no wireless network interface at all.

FWIW, and without defending NetworkManager, wpa_supplicant is *not* only
for wireless networks, but it could be needed for other networks as well
(e.g. because of 802.1x).

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca