Re: isc-dhcp-client sends DHCPDISCOVER *before* wpa_supplicant authenticates/associates/connects.

On 2020-07-12 20:35:56 +0200 (+0200), Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
[...]
> What is (unusual but) usable, however, is to *not* use Network
> Manager for wifi, but use IWD+systemd or IWD standalone for wifi,
> and use Network Manager to manage _other_ network components.
>
> In such unusual-but-real setup, wpa-supplicant would be dead
> weight. Lightweight, arguably, but a daemon and therefore
> additional risk of hair-pulling confusions: If wpa-supplicant
> daemon is running, IWD fails to work.
[...]
> On Debian you can only remove the wpa-supplicant if you also
> remove network-manager - which I find is an unnecessary tight
> coupling.
[...]

Worth considering is that it still may in fact not be *too* unusual
to have systems with no wireless network interface at all. I have
quite a few in my possession running current releases of Debian.
Granted I've been eschewing NM on them in favor of ifupdown for
simplicity, but I could foresee wanting to install it on them and
having zero use for either wpa-supplicant or iwd. I've actually
grown quite fond of nmcli, once NM mostly got over its (lengthy)
rough patch.
--
Jeremy Stanley