Re: isc-dhcp-client sends DHCPDISCOVER *before* wpa_supplicant authenticates/associates/connects.

Quoting Russell Stuart (2020-07-13 00:16:01)
> On Sat, 2020-07-11 at 22:12 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> > I don't run either systemd or NetworkManager, and I'm not currently
> > interested in changing either of those things, but I am interested
> > in trying out an alternative to wpa_supplicant. Is there an
> > appropriate similar procedure for such an environment, or would I
> > have to experiment and play around trying to get things to work?
>
> I don't use network manager, so I'm in a similar position.
>
> From what I can see iwd lacks two features of wpa_supplicant.
>
> Firstly, there doesn't seem to be a way to attach iwd to a particular
> wireless interface.  Iwctl doesn't provide one, and I don't see any
> other way to tell it.  Most people have just one wireless interface so
> it may not be a huge issue but it is an impedance miss-match with
> things like ifupdown that are focused on interfaces.  Maybe that's the
> problem with network manager too.
>
> Secondly, it doesn't support wpa_supplicant's priorities.  I use them
> a fair bit.  For example, I tell wpa_supplicant to favour my phone
> WiFi hotspot over others, so if I have a connectivity issue I can just
> turn it on.  That said, I guess I could just use iwctl to manually
> connect to the phone.

Generally, IWD by design aims at being lightweight, which implies
leaving high-level management to systemd-networkd (the default) or
Network-Manager or connman or ifupdown or...

The features you describe seems indeed not support by IWD currently:
I suggest filing bugreports for IWD upstream developers.

 - Jonas