Re: Be nice to your fellow Debian colleagues

Hi,

On 2/1/20 4:19 am, John Hasler wrote:
> andrew.mcglashan wrote:
>> ...it is very limited to a small group of Debian users known
>> collectively as DDs...
>
> It is limited to the people who actually do the work.  Why should
> the fact that you chose to download, install, and use some software
> that someone wrote and generously made available to you for free
> give you any right to participate in their decisions as to what to
> do next.
>
> I'm not happy with some of the choices Debian has made recently but
> my opinion about such things became irrelevant when I resigned from
> the project.  Ranting about them here and indignantly accusing the
> DDs of ignoring me would be ridiculous.

You simplify things too much and therefore cheapen the project and
it's wide ranging participants (not just DDs, but also including DDs)
quite considerably.

There are very different types of investments in Debian at play here;
it isn't just "those that do the work", it is also "those that USE the
work" that help with possible bug reports and other things that enrich
the project.  Advocates for Debian, of which there were many more
before the more recent changes are also very important for the entire
project's ongoing success well in to the future.

Debian should be so much more than what DDs alone make of it, not
being so at any point in time affords considerable disrespect for
others involved over time as advocates, users and even ex-DDs.  Did
Debian choose to stop being the universal Linux?  If so, when?  Is it
choosing that now?

These days, when a successful team wins at a sporting event, it
encompasses all the participants and appreciates them all as
contributing, it isn't just the on field players, even the on field
players get [and deserve] most of the glory.  Teams are made up of
players in many fields, just peruse the credits at the end of movies,
there are shed loads of people involved, one way or another.

Do you think that any Debian advocate or user should not be able to be
part of Debian's success without them needing to be DDs?  That would
be a very shallow view towards anyone not "elite" enough to be a DD.
Remember, it isn't so much against DDs, not at all, it is more about
the greater good of Debian and from a far more wide reaching view than
the DDs alone can have.

It is neigh on impossible for everyone to have a say, but it isn't
beyond the realms just DDs to think beyond themselves and for the
greater good of the project.

Would you want a project that is only "good" for 1,100 to 1,200 DDs or
would you want what has been Debian's goal of being a universal Linux,
good for so many more?

Let's be positive about this and find a way to be more inclusive of
the greater Debian population; it should be a win for everyone.

Kind Regards
AndrewM