Re: dgit advocacy again (Re: Survey results: git packaging practices / repository format)

Andreas Tille writes ("Re: dgit advocacy again (Re: Survey results: git packaging practices / repository format)"):
> On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 01:49:13PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Anyway, I'm very happy to talk to you (or anyone) about your own
> > situation in detail IRL, and also open to hearing from anyone who has
> > good ideas about addressing this adoption problem.
>
> I think I'm becoming a more and more clear image of the principle (not
> of the actual usage).  In my special case of really low popcon packages
> mostly in sciences I'm not yet convinced that it is really relevant for
> any downstreams - but well, may be you just pretend to be some
> downstream and demonstrate that point of view.

Well, speaking only personally, I am eclectic.  I have a tendency to
become a user of all sorts of things, and certainly low popcon science
packages etc. are the kind of thing I seem likely to want and
sometimes want to fix...

If you have seen a patch bug from me in the last half decade,
I almost certainly made it starting with `dgit clone'.

Of course I am a git expert by now so it is easy for me to cope with
the disjoint histories which occur when the maintainer does not use
`dgit push'.  I know how to fetch additional history from elsewhere
and how to related it to what I can see; I can easily transfer changes
between branches in git, how to make ad-hoc buildable frankenmerges to
test changes, and so on.

Most of our users are not so lucky and I am trying to save them from
learning more than they have to.  Instead I think we maintainers
should learn better tools (ie, git-based tools) to help support them
properly.

Ian.