dgit advocacy again (Re: Survey results: git packaging practices / repository format)

Sorry about this, but I really wanted to reply to this because I think
it is a common misconception.  I hope people who are tired of this
subject can tell their program to delete messages with `dgit advocacy'
in the subject...

Andreas Tille writes ("Re: Survey results: git packaging practices / repository format"):
> On Mon, Jul 01, 2019 at 12:49:05PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > My table is supposed to be useable without knowing anything about
> > dgit.
>
> That's the case for me.  I need to admit that I did not used dgit.  The
> reason is that I'm working in teams who all have Git repositories on
> Salsa that more or less are following what was described in the Perl
> team policy.  I live under the impression that dgit is a tool that I do
> not need in this case - thus I did not spent any time to learn it.

People like you are precisely the intended users of "dgit push --gbp".

I think if you used it you would help Debian users and contributors.
(You would slightly improve your own life too, but maybe not by enough
to be worth the bother of learning a new tool.)

As https://wiki.debian.org/DgitFAQ has it

 | Q: Why should I bother to learn how to use dgit?
 |
 | If you incorporate dgit push-source into your workflow, then you
 | will be providing your git history to Debian's users and
 | downstreams in a way that is more useful to them than adding a
 | Vcs-Git header.
 | There are also minor conveniences for maintainers ...

I have said before that I think using "dgit push" (where possible) is
an ethical imperative.  (I should clarify that I *don't* mean that
people who aren't using "dgit push" yet are bad people.  Life is so
full of ethical imperatives that no real human could meet them all,
and of course Debian's right to call on volunteer effort is limited.)

Obviously that is a very strong statement.  It was quite controversial
last time.  But, I stand by it and am prepared to defend it using
reasoned argument.  Maybe by private email would be best to avoid
boring everyone else.

Anyway, I would certainly appreciate it if you would read the FAQ.

Ian.