Re: dgit advocacy again (Re: Survey results: git packaging practices / repository format)

On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 01:49:13PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> The main difficulty now with getting dgit push adopted is that
> maintainers don't see the benefit *to themselves* and it is always
> harder to get someone to see a benefit *to someone else*.
Ok, that describe me. I see benefits in an optimized git workflow for
*me* and maybe for *someone else*. But right now i don't get the point
where dgit can help me. Maybe i'm just ignorant. Ok, i right now don't
get the point of gbp fully.

Especially, it can be hard to convince people of the reality of a
benefit to someone else, which they perhaps ought to provide, if it
would involve them having to change the way they do things...

Fair point: So let's talk about.
* Getting released sources: uscan and pristine-tar are my friends - what
  can dgit do better?
* Creating a upstream/latest branch - questionable action, do it for
  years now - and really see no benefit in it. Was the team workflow
  since 2015, does not hurt much, so i don't changed it.
* Cherry picking latest release into the sid- or experimental branch.
  Where can dgit help me or others?
* Do the needed changes in debian $foo, commit, push, tag, push tag.
  Same question.

These things are not rhetoric - right now i use three scripts from a
package that was former in debian - git-stuff. Unfortunately discontinued. So i'm in search for a tool to make my life easier.

Cheers Alf