Re: github and its workflows (was Re: manpages.debian.org has been modernized!)

On 01/30/2017 02:14 PM, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 07:53:58AM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>> Are you saying that people are writing and submitting patches via a
>> Web-based editor interface, and that you're recommending that people
>> consider _accepting_ those patches, when they haven't even been
>> _build-tested_ before submission (because you can't build-test - much
>> less actually _test_ - without the full source tree, which you'd obtain
>> by pulling the repo)?
>
> besides that github supports automated testing too, I think that you're
> too much thinking of (big|bigger) patches while I imagine that most of
> the patches created via this web editor are rather simple typo fixes and
> small correcttions and such.

Indeed, if done right, pull requests are built in travis and the result
is being displayed on the pull requests' page.

> To be clear, I do believe in owning ones infrastructures, but I also see
> how this encourages small contributions and makes them easy and I do see
> this as a good thing too.

Exactly - it is easy to make and receive contributions and much faster
to send and handle them than using the BTS

> I think this is really great to lower the barrier for newcomers, to make
> them feel accepted and I too dive deeper eventually.

+1
Not only newcomers, but also the typical sysadmin with no spare time.