Re: github and its workflows (was Re: manpages.debian.org has been modernized!)

Hello Bernd,

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 04:10:38PM +0100, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> On 01/30/2017 02:14 PM, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > To be clear, I do believe in owning ones infrastructures, but I also see
> > how this encourages small contributions and makes them easy and I do see
> > this as a good thing too.
>
> Exactly - it is easy to make and receive contributions and much faster
> to send and handle them than using the BTS
>
> > I think this is really great to lower the barrier for newcomers, to make
> > them feel accepted and I too dive deeper eventually.
>
> +1
> Not only newcomers, but also the typical sysadmin with no spare time.

I think we might be overstating the value of the kind of improvements
that can be submitted with GitHub's web-based text editor.

Firstly, it is not clear to me how the barrier to getting involved with
more substantial bugs is affected by the fact that I can trivially
submit typo fixes.  What did you have in mind?

Secondly, I suspect that the feeling of being accepted might be
illusory.  Submitting typo fixes that don't require any review does not
help build any relationships.

I don't mean that these fixes have *no* value, of course.

--
Sean Whitton