Re: manpages.debian.org has been modernized!

Hello,

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 10:46:16PM +0100, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> On 01/19/2017 09:43 AM, Michael Stapelberg wrote:
> > I agree. However, I prioritize “free software needs people who work on
> > it”, and by using GitHub, contributions are made significantly easier
> > for a large number of people.
> >
> > In my personal experience, I can say that I would not be able to spend
> > _nearly_ as much of my time on FOSS if it weren’t for GitHub’s
> > convenient web interface.
>
> Same here. Also since I've moved my major packages to github, a constant
> stream of pull requests for even simple bugs like typos is coming in.
> People are used to github and how to create a pull request on the web
> interface, and I can just merge these changes with a few clicks.

Please don't forget about git-request-pull(1), or it's simpler cousin,
"to fix this bug please merge branch foo from repo bar".

'bar' could well be on GitHub -- I don't think anyone objects to using
GitHub purely as a repository hosting service, because that involves no
lock-in.

Using the Debian BTS doesn't have to mean messing about with patches,
and GitHub did not invent the pull request.

--
Sean Whitton