Re: Git hosting for code that provides Debian services

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 07:16:59PM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> On തിങ്കള്‍ 30 ജനുവരി 2017 07:05 വൈകു, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> > Is the Gitlab software still an "open core" product of Gitlab the
> > company?
> >

> git.fosscommunity.in is running Gitlab Community Edition, code that is
> DFSG compliant and accepted in debian main
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/gitlab
>
> gitlab.com runs Gitlab Enterprise Edition. See
> https://about.gitlab.com/products/ for different products of Gitlab Inc

Right, so the answer is that Gitlab is still an "open core" project. I
therefore repeat that I find it sad that it's being pushed as a
service for Debian to use.

I personally don't find "open core" projects to be fully free
software, even if they follow current DFSG, OSI, and FSF criteria. I
may be in a minority with that view, of course.

--
I want to build worthwhile things that might last. --joeyh