Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On Sat, 16 Jan 2016 20:24:34 +0100, Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org>
wrote:
> ? 16 janvier 2016 17:37 +0100, Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> :
>
>>>You seem to always take vague examples to avoid being contradicted. You
>>>can execute any unit before and after network is setup through the
>>>dependency system.
>>
>> Show me how to set a certain option to a VLAN interface that is
>> created by /etc/systemd/network/foo.netdev and needs to be set before
>> the interface is taken "up" by /etc/systemd/network/foo.network. Both
>> unit files are processed by the same systemd-networkd.service with no
>> hook in between.
>
>#v+
>[Service]
>Type=oneshot
>ExecStart=/usr/bin/ip a l
>RemainAfterExit=yes
>
>[Install]
>WantedBy=multi-user.target
>
>[Unit]
>Description=Enable some unknown IPv6 feature now
>After=sys-subsystem-net-devices-vlan1.device
>Requires=sys-subsystem-net-devices-vlan1.device
>Before=sys-devices-virtual-net-vlan1.device
>Conflicts=sys-devices-virtual-net-vlan1.device
>#v-

Judging from man systemd.device, a .device file has something to do
with udev. A vlan device is not created by udev, it comes into
existence when a .netdev unit like

|[1/501]mh@barrida:~$ cat /etc/systemd/network/int182.netdev
|[NetDev]
|Name=int182
|Kind=vlan
|
|[VLAN]
|Id=182
|[2/502]mh@barrida:~$

is brought up. After the corresponding .network file:

|[2/502]mh@barrida:~$ cat /etc/systemd/network/int182.network
|[Match]
|Name=int182
|
|[Network]
|Description=int182 secure
|DHCP=none
|IPForward=yes
|
|[Address]
|Address=192.168.182.254/24
|
|[Address]
|Address=2a01:238:4071:3282::a3:100/64
|
|[snip]
|
|[3/503]mh@barrida:~$

has been brought up, /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/int182/* options cannot
be set any more since the interface is already up.

systemd upstrem acknowledged this issue by implementing, for example,
the IPv6AcceptRouterAdvertisements option. Unfortunately, because
systemd does not allow run-time extensions, one has to go this way
again and again and wait for a release of both systemd upstream and
the distribution when one needs other options such as the
accept_ra_from_local value.

>Of course, vlan1 is up because with networkd, configuring the "netdev" makes
>it up while in Debian, setting the IP makes it up. However, I don't see
>you whining about the lack of flexibility in Debian where you cannot
>execute a command when the interface is up but before it gets an IP.

Because ifupdown has pre-up and up options in /e/n/i and hooks for
scripts.

Btw, the word "whine" is offensive. Please cut that out.

>> People in the systemd community are asking us to not use
>> EnvironmentFile or otherwise Lennart might feel forced to remove it
>> since we're all using it wrong.
>>
>> This is what gets me absolutely furious.
>
>Already debunked here:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2016/01/msg00384.html
>
>Also:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2016/01/msg00075.html

Please note what prompted my outburst, and guess whose opinion gets
endorsed by systemd upstream.

Greetings
Marc