Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 12:03 AM, Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org> wrote:
> On 2016-01-04 11:30, Marc Haber wrote:
>>
>> Please also notice that this is the only option for ExecStart in
>> systemd units. Well played, Lennart.
>
> Similarly skeleton-based init scripts use the full path as well. It helps if
> you can stat() it. Which, I guess, you could by extension by using "which"
> and the like. On the other hand init scripts are supposed to be runable in
> "env -i". Now, what would the PATH be for systemd to use? My skeleton-based
> init scripts ship their own PATH (yay, duplication and decentral
> configuration). I can see how you would want to use EnvironmentFile for
> that. But then, why not simply override ExecStart? And even then I don't see
> the point. (One reply would be "to reuse the distro-provided commandline
> arguments", which is fair, but you are already redirecting the path to the
> binary from the default anyway and are not using the distro one.)
>
> You can continue to childishly blame Lennart for everything, but that might
> cause others to stop taking you seriously. Which isn't really what you
> deserve.

Lennart didn't even say that he wanted to get rid of "EnvironmentFile=".

>From the same-named thread on systemd-devel@:

--- 8< ---
1)
I probably should never have added EnvironmentFile= in the first place.

2)
I think EnvironmentFile= was a mistake, and I explained why. But then
again, I am not planning to remove it, and I never suggested that.

He advocated the use of drop-ins, as you (Philipp) do.

There's one daemon (that I use) where this is a PitA; nfsd and its
associated executables. It would mean having to edit multiple units
rather than two files on Debian/Ubuntu and one file on Gentoo/RHEL.