Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> writes:

> On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 19:37:03 +0100, Marco d'Itri <md@Linux.IT> wrote:
>>On Jan 05, Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> People who have been using a configuration for many years naturally
>>> become upset when they are told that it has been `unsupported' for all
>>> of this time and that, implicitly, changes are going to be made which
>>> will break it.
>>I think that your summary is correct, and I am quite sure that it would
>>be a bad engineering practice to make technical decisions based on
>>people's emotions.
>
> Unfortunately, it's emotions that take vendor decisions. Your attitude
> is driving big users towards the paid-for Enterprise Linuxes, be it
> logical or not, be it good engineering or not.

Even if that were true, I fail to understand why we should be worried.

If some (apparently irrational) people were to choose to pay for the
privilege to whine at someone else ... that's just fine isn't it?

The rationality and civility here is increased by their departure, and
somewhere else in the Free Software world they start paying some
company, which is likely to in part go towards funding more developer
time, from which we benefit.

I'm alsmost tempted to suggest that Marco revert to his more usual
brusqueness, in order to maximise the benefit.

Cheers, Phil.