Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

 ❦ 16 janvier 2016 17:37 +0100, Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> :

>>You seem to always take vague examples to avoid being contradicted. You
>>can execute any unit before and after network is setup through the
>>dependency system.
>
> Show me how to set a certain option to a VLAN interface that is
> created by /etc/systemd/network/foo.netdev and needs to be set before
> the interface is taken "up" by /etc/systemd/network/foo.network. Both
> unit files are processed by the same systemd-networkd.service with no
> hook in between.

#v+
[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/usr/bin/ip a l
RemainAfterExit=yes

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

[Unit]
Description=Enable some unknown IPv6 feature now
After=sys-subsystem-net-devices-vlan1.device
Requires=sys-subsystem-net-devices-vlan1.device
Before=sys-devices-virtual-net-vlan1.device
Conflicts=sys-devices-virtual-net-vlan1.device
#v-

(I am using /usr/bin/ip because I am testing this on CoreOS which comes
with networkd already enabled and they have a merged /usr).

#v+
[Match]
Name=vlan1

[Network]
Address=10.1.10.9/24
#v-

In journalctl:

Jan 16 19:09:18 localhost ip[494]: 3: vlan1@eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 q
Jan 16 19:09:18 localhost ip[494]: link/ether b2:2b:bb:35:34:85 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
Jan 16 19:09:18 localhost ip[494]: inet6 fe80::b02b:bbff:fe35:3485/64 scope link tentative
Jan 16 19:09:18 localhost ip[494]: valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

Of course, vlan1 is up because with networkd, configuring the "netdev" makes
it up while in Debian, setting the IP makes it up. However, I don't see
you whining about the lack of flexibility in Debian where you cannot
execute a command when the interface is up but before it gets an IP. If
you needed to do that, you would just use "inet manual" and do whatever
you want. That's the same with systemd, just use a unit.

>>And they seem to work fine with systemd. Upstream is pushing for people
>>to just write an override. But we are free to use EnvironmentFile=.
>
> People in the systemd community are asking us to not use
> EnvironmentFile or otherwise Lennart might feel forced to remove it
> since we're all using it wrong.
>
> This is what gets me absolutely furious.

Already debunked here:

Also:

I hope that the systemd community doesn't see you as representative of
the Debian community.
--
Watch out for off-by-one errors.