Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On Jan 05, Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> People who have been using a configuration for many years naturally
> become upset when they are told that it has been `unsupported' for all
> of this time and that, implicitly, changes are going to be made which
> will break it.
I think that your summary is correct, and I am quite sure that it would
be a bad engineering practice to make technical decisions based on
people's emotions.

> It is this kind of apparent proposal to nonconsensually impose changes
> which is generating upset.
In 2004 people used to complain that udev was being imposed on them.
Last year it was about systemd. And now:

https://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=systemd-sysv+sysvinit-core+udev&show_installed=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&from_date=2014-01-01&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1

> This thread contains a fair few assertions that certain configurations
> are `broken' or `unsupported'; but these assertions sit alongside
> reports from actual users that these configurations do work for them,
> and expressions of the wish that they should continue to do so.
There is a significant difference between concepts like:
- something works for me
- something works

and:
- I want something to be supported
- the people actually working on something want to support it

--
ciao,
Marco